Saturday, March 26, 2011

Perky Poems that Pick You Up! (Jennifer's Poetry Picks for Young Readers)

Poetry blends the artistry of the written word with the beauty of rhythm and rhyme. Poems are a great way to introduce even the youngest child to the sounds of language in an engaging and musical way. Take a trip to the library and check out our vast variety of poetry ranging from humorous to haiku.


Here's my perky poetry picks which can be found at your library!


  • City I Love by Lee Bennett Hopkins (Poems about cities)
  • Come To My Party and Other Shape Poems by Heidi B. Roemer (Delightful poems in the shapes of their subjects (ex. a poem about mittens in a mitten shape)
  • Busy In The Garden by George Shannon (Poems about gardening and the great outdoors)
  • Lunch Money and Other Poems About School by Carol Diggory Shields
  • From the Doghouse: Poems to Chew On by Amy E. Sklansky (Poems about dogs)
  • Here's A Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry collected by Jane Yolen and Andrew Fusek Peters (Beautiful poems obtained through the talents of numerous authors)


Here's a sample of a poem that is something to bark home about!

Astrodog

I'm on my way to outer space 
just like I always dream. 
I'm riding in a spaceship--
what a marvelous machine!

It launched me high above the earth 
and right on past the moon. 
Inside I'm like a butterfly 
still wrapped in its cocoon. 

Up here it's black as darkest night. 
The earth looks blue and green. 
I travel through the starry sky 
toward places never seen. 

(Poem found in From the Doghouse: Poems to Chew On by Amy E. Sklansky)


Doggone good poetry!