- Create your own parade! Make instruments out of pots and pans and other household utensils, blow up a few balloons, cut up construction paper to create confetti and play patriotic music as you march through your home.
- Make a red, white and blue fruit salad. Cut strawberries and blueberries and add a whipped topping such as Kool-whip for a delicious and refreshing dessert.
- Go on a red, white and blue scavenger hunt. Have your child point out all the items in your home which are red, white, and blue.
- Design your own flag using construction paper. Use a piece of red construction paper as your base. Cut stripes out of white construction paper and evenly space and glue onto the red construction paper. Cut a a rectangular shape out of blue construction paper and glue onto the side of the flag. Use tin foil star stickers for the stars. Glue onto a paint stirrer and proudly wave your flag!
- Blow bubbles and as they pop make crackling and popping noises like exploding fireworks.
- Read one of the poems below to get into the holiday spirit!
Fourth of July Poetry
It's a day for parades and for clowns who say "hi!"
For loud marching bands and balloons in the sky.
It's a flag-waving day! Here's a flag just for you.
Hooray for parades and the red, white, and blue!
We love parades.
Splintering, scattering, like stars that are shattering, dazzling fireworks flash.
Echoing, thundering, like cannonballs rumbling, fireworks...
Crackle and crash!
(Source: Come To My Party and Other Shape Poems by Heidi B. Roemer)